St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church in West Street, Drogheda is world famous for housing the shrine of St Oliver Plunkett.
The first Church on the site was built in 1791 to a design by Francis Johnston and the present church incorporates part of that building and it was opened in1884. The facade is an imposing structure in the Gothic style, built of local limestone.
St. Oliver Plunkett, was born at Loughcrew near Oldcastle, Co Meath and trained for the priesthood abroad , being ordained in 1654 and becoming Archbishop of Armagh in 1669. He spent a lot of time in Drogheda and is credited with bringing the Jesuits to town and opening a number of schools. His preserved head forms the centerpiece of the shrine in St Peters Church.
Many schools, churches and other building in Ireland and overseas are dedicated to the Saint.
Our Town Stories St. Peters Church Drogheda Video